8-10 small onions/ baby onions
1 cup Toor dal
2-3 tsp Sambhar powder
1/4 cup grated Coconut
1 tsp Coriander seeds
1 pinch Hing
A pinch of Turmeric
1/2 lime sized Tamarind / 1 tsp Tamarind paste
3-4 Red Chillis ( or as per requirement)
1 tsp Jaggery
salt to taste
- Peel the onions , put them in a pan with little water, salt. Cook them till they are tender. Keep aside.
- Now wash the Dal, pressure cook it with a pinch or Turmeric and enough water.
- Wet grind the coconut with Sambhar powder, Clove,Hing,Coriander, Tamarind/ paste and red Chillis if required.
- Heat a heavy bottomed wok, pour the Ground paste add little water and let it boil.
- Mash the cooked Dal a little and and it to boiling Masala give a good stir.
- Now add the cooked onions, add/ Adjust salt, Water and Jaggery.
- Let it boil on a low flame for good 10 mins. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with white rice.